Website updates shouldn’t be difficult, but there’s one phase that does take a bit of time…and it all happens before any writing occurs.
In this episode of Talk Copy to Me, I’m diving deep into how to approach an effective website overhaul. You’ll learn how to define your offerings, and prepare before working with a copywriter to craft compelling messaging. And even if you’re a DIYer, you’ll learn a lot about how to research and what you need to prepare to set yourself up for success.
Here is what Erin wants you to know about preparing for website updates
- Determining whether you should DIY or hire a website copywriter to write your updated website copywriter
- Knowing what skills and services you need your copywriter to provide, and who to hire if they don’t have the skills you need (hint: I have all the skills referenced and I pull in the right contractors to boost my skills too!)
- Why it’s important to interview many website copywriters and how to decide who is the best website copywriter for your project
- The key questions you should ask yourself after hiring a website copywriter but before the website updates begin
- The four vital things you need to know in order for a website to be successful (if you don’t know these things, it’s not time for a website rebrand)
- The four key elements of research that needs to be done before any copy is written
- Erin’s Christmas wish for the one thing she wants people to stop doing with their websites and instead what they need to do for website updates
- How a website audit or copy coaching can help DIYers plan their websites and complete some of the key research that needs to happen before the website copy is written
Other podcast episodes and resources mentioned in this episodes:
- What Goes In a Brand Messaging Guide? with Emily Aborn
- Voice of Customer Research and Messaging with Melissa Payne
- How Strategic Storytelling Leads to Sales with Emma Boshart
Quotes about preparing for your copy website updates
- “Why are you doing a full website rebrand? Why now? That’s a very important question. Why does this need to happen at this moment in your business and not next year, next month.”
- “The real way to know whether your website project will be a success and whether your business will be a success post website launch is knowing exactly what you sell and how you would like to position what you sell.” – Erin Ollila
- “You want your site to have a job. You want each page to have a clear goal so that you can measure success based on those things.” – Erin Ollila
- “I wish DIYers would spend the money to have someone – like myself – do a planning session for their website. So that way, we can help prepare you, or we can do some of that initial research for you so that you don’t have to do the client and competitor research on your own.” – Erin Ollila
- “User experience is also a key thing to talk about when it comes to strategy and decision making.” – Erin Ollila
Learn more about your host, Erin Ollila
Erin Ollila believes in the power of words and how a message can inform – and even transform – its intended audience. She graduated from Fairfield University with an M.F.A. in Creative Writing, and went on to co-found Spry, an award-winning online literary journal.
When Erin’s not helping her clients understand their website data or improve their website copy, you can catch her hosting the Talk Copy to Me podcast and guesting on shows such as Profit is a Choice, The Driven Woman Entrepreneur, Go Pitch Yourself, and Counsel Cast.
Stay in touch with Erin Ollila, SEO website copywriter:
- Learn more about Erin’s VIP Day options if you’d like to learn more about how you can hire her to help you with your marketing
- Reach out her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or on LinkedIn to talk more
Here’s the transcript for episode 098 on prepping for website updates, especially for the words on your site!
Note: Show notes may contain affiliate links to products, offers, and services that I whole-heartedly recommend.